I’ve got my breath back now after relating to you my horrendous experience, my first full blown laryngospasm.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Emily for taking the time to send me a comment on that post, it meant a lot to me, my effort was not in vain. My grateful thanks Emily.
Now I need to explain what causes a Laryngospasm to occur in the first place.
Please remember this is me, it might not be someone else.
1) A drop of fluid and it doesn’t matter what it is. Water, milk, juice or wine, anything at all.
2) An intake of breath the wrong way. Don’t ask how a breath can be wrong, it just can be.
3) Gulping when your drinking, again anything.
4) Dentist’s water spray when your teeth are being cleaned, or the air spray when your having a filling. If the water from the spray hits the back of your throat, or if the air hits the back of your throat, yes air. Doesn’t bare thinking about).
5) Don't ever speak as your swallowing and gulp at the same time, fatal.
6) A crumb, yes a tiny crumb of food catching the back of my throat as you breath in.
All of the above can happen in a split second with no warning and then trouble will begin.
7) If I’m feeling stressed I’m more likely to have a spasm.
8) When my voice gets tired, as it does, then I need to be careful. I need to stop talking and give it a rest.
If I’ve forgot anything, please forgive me.
If anyone out there knows of any other causes, please get in touch with me.
I think you can see it’s not mouthfuls of anything. It’s not gerd (your food coming back up), it’s not food stuck in your throat, it’s got nothing to do with chocking with anything, so the Heimlich manoeuvre will not help you in anyway.
I did forget to mention to you, that when I’m having or are about to have a spasm I am screaming out in my head for help. I call to God and I call to my father. When your frightened beyond words thinking your going to die, trust me, even someone with no faith in anything would be calling out for help. When I’m having a spasm I’m so engrossed with what’s happening to me that I can’t actually speak, I have no voice. So for me its great that the two people (I use that word loosely) I trust most in the Universe can hear me without me talking out loud.
Now, what can you do to try and stop an episode from happening and if one does, what can you do to try and help yourself from it turning into a full blown spasm.
Ok! I started to try and write this and I got in a bit of a muddle, so I’m going to give myself another break and think about all the things I do,. I’m going to list them all down in case I forget anything.
I’ll be back in a couple of days.